Case study: sustainability education coordinator (local government)
Purpose of the role
The sustainability education coordinator is employed by local government and works closely with the community to research, facilitate and promote community sustainability education programs.
- Form, monitor, and guide sustainability committees to promote, facilitate and manage projects being undertaken by the community.
- Develop community events to promote sustainability.
- Educate relevant local businesses and industries on methods to improve the sustainability of their operations.
- Engage members of the community in sustainability programs.
- Liaise with relevant staff, professionals and local businesses to gather and compile information and report on the progress of programs.
Skills and knowledge required
- Qualifications in teaching, public education or environmental science.
- Developing and facilitating community education programs for all ages.
- Experience working towards behavioural change.
- Negotiation and conflict resolution experience.
- Knowledge of, state and federal government sustainability education directions.
Relevant learning areas identified
(Key learning areas that are a focus of this role)
- Principles of community education and
- Understanding of Education for Sustainability.